In an independent laboratory test, Moringa Oleifera scored the highest in antioxidant content. Beating the record-holding acai berry by over a 50% margin, measured over 157,000 umoles using the Oxidant Radicals Absorbent Capacity (ORAC) system of measurement developed by the National Institute of Health’s National Institute for Aging. The ORAC test was conducted by independent lab Brunswick Laboratories.
The list of antioxidant superfoods are
- Acai berries
- Dark chocolate
- Goji berries
- Green tea
- Red wine
Moringa is naturally vegan, caffeine-free and gluten-free. The World Health Organization (WHO) and other international humanitarian relief organizations have used Moringa to combat malnutrition.
Prnewswire.com (2012) New Study Shows Moringa Oleifera Scores Highest Antioxidant Content in Food — NEWTOWN, CT, June 28, 2012 /PRNewswire-iReach/ –. [online] Available at: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/new-study-shows-moringa-oleifera-scores-highest-antioxidant-content-in-food-160666225.html [Accessed: 17 Sep 2012].
Nutraingredients-usa.com (2012) Moringa oleifera trumps superfruit rivals in ORAC tests. [online] Available at: http://www.nutraingredients-usa.com/Consumer-Trends/Moringa-oleifera-trumps-superfruit-rivals-in-ORAC-tests [Accessed: 17 Sep 2012].
In Haiti, Tzu Chi is encouraging residents to plant the Moringa Oleifera tree to help solve the food shortage problem. Five US volunteers sacrificed their Christmas holidays, and flew to the quake-hit Caribbean country, to help local volunteers establish their first ever Moringa Great Love Farm. The team chose the nearby area of Silbert, near Port au Prince, as the location for the farm, so volunteers from the capital could easily make the trip to the plantation.
Tzuchi.org.sg (2011) Planting Miracle Trees for Haiti. [online] Available at: http://www.tzuchi.org.sg/eng/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1298:planting-miracle-trees-for-haiti&catid=119:av-reloaded&Itemid=585 [Accessed: 13 Sep 2012].
USDA spells U.S. Department of Agriculture, is formed national standards for organically produced agricultural products to assure consumers that agricultural products marketed as organic meet consistent, uniform standards.
- Organic food must contain 95 to 100% worth of organic ingredients. For example, a frozen meal with 96% organic ingredients. However, a pre-packed soup made with 60% organic ingredients cannot be considered organic food item.
- All food labelled the USDA Organic Seal must be ‘organically’ grown without chemicals, , hormones, synthetic fertilizers and other genetically modified (GMO) factors.
- Antibiotics or hormones are not allowed to be used in animal products labeled organic.
- Food also cannot contain artificial colouring or flavouring.
There are other food labels such as: “contains organic ingredients”, “natural source”, healthy or other nutritional words. But do not be mislead thinking that it is a 100% whole organic product that’s GMO-free.
Moringa Oleifera has hypolipidemic, antiinflammatory, antioxidant, anticoagulant and platelet antiaggregatory properties. The plant has high therapeutic potential and may serve as a safe and affordable food for the prevention of atherosclerosis and cardiovascular diseases. As Moringa has no known side effects, it can also be prescribed as food supplement to patients with coronary artery disease along with their regular lipid lowering medicines.
- Antimicrobial / Biocidal
- Bacterial LFS
- Cancer Therapy/Protection
- Circulatory/endocrine Disorders
- Digestive Disorders
- Epstein-Barr Virus (EBV)
- External sores/ulcers
- Herpes Simplex Virus (HSV-1)
- Iron deficiency
- Nervous Disorders
- Radio protective
- Ulcer / Gastritis
- Urinary Tract Infection
- Vitamin/mineral deficiency
Please note that further investigation and clinical studies are warranted to examine these claims, always consult your doctors or physicians first.
Synthetic vitamins (although may be called “natural”) comes from petroleum derivatives. They provide little benefits, increase health risk and organ damage as well as even birth defects in pregnant mothers. Always get your Vitamins and Minerals from food and vegetables sources.
We have summarised a list of table here:
Words that end in “ide” or “ate” (like chloride, hydrochloride, acetate or nitrate) indicate that the product contains salt forms, which are synthetics. If you see the letters “dl” before the name of an ingredients, this tells you it’s synthetic.
Vitamin A: Acetate and Palmitate
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine): Thiamine Mononitrate, Thiamine Hydrochloride
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin): Riboflavin
Pantothenic Acid: Calcium D-Pantothenate
Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine): Pyridoxine Hydrochloride
Vitamin B12: Cobalamin
PABA (Para-aminobenzoic Acid): Aminobenzoic Acid
Folic Acid: Pteroylglutamic Acid
Choline: Choline Chloride, Choline Bitartrate
Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid): Ascorbic Acid
Vitamin D: Irradiated Ergosteral, Calciferol
Vitamin E: dl-alpha tocopherol, dl-alpha tocopherol acetate or succinate
Essential amino acids can’t be produced by the body and must be derived from food. If you fail to obtain even one of the essential amino acids, your body may have to break down muscle proteins, in order to get the amino acid that is needed. Our body requires 20 different kinds of amino acids and out of which 9 our body can’t produce its own and have to be found in food that we consume. Its rare for a source of food to contain all 9 of the essential amino acid and it happens to be found in Moringa. Here is a list of the 9 essential amino acid and its purpose in a human body.
- Histidine – Increase the body’s resistance to environment toxins and allergens, helps increase blood circulation and has been used to treat rheumatoid arthritis and poor hearing
- Isoleucine – Maintains normal blood sugar and energy levels and increase endurance important for diabetics
- Leucine – Build muscles, enhance energy levels and stamina. Recommended for this recovering from injuries, stress or surgery as it also promotes bone, skin and muscle tissue healing. Aids lowering of blood sugar level and increase in growth hormones production.
- Lysine – Helps calcium absorption and bone development, aids in the production of antibodies, hormones and enzymes in skin maintenance and formation and tissue repair.
- Methionine + Cystine – Aids detoxification, protects the body against radiation damages caused by UV-rays and x-Rays. Protects the liver and brain from alcohol, drugs and environment pollutants. Promotes anti-aging and anti-inflammatory found in Cystine. Recommended supplement in the treatment of some forms of cancer.
- Phenlylalanine + Tyrosine – Promotes alertness help in memory, can elevate mood, decrease pain. Supplemented in the treatment of depression, arthritis, obesity and Parkinson’s disease
- Threonine – important for the formation of collagen and elastin for the skin and beauty, also helps to protect liver and protects against fatty liver. Enhances immune system and aids in the production of antibodies.
- Tryptophan – Controls depression and insomnia, stablizes mood and also helps migraine sufferers.
- Valine – Used as energy source by muscle tissue thus preserving the use of glucose and suppling stamina. studies have shown that it is useful in restoring mass in people with liver disease or after physical stress, injuries and surgery.
Prenatal vitamins are vitamins taken during pregnancy to help cover any nutritional gaps in the mother’s diet.
Mothers to be should take a look at this short article “7-myths-about-prenatal-vitamins-Revised-Aug-2011” written by Evelyn Ojeda Fox and George Fox
The article will unfold to you why taking prenatal vitamins proves to be ineffective as it claims to be.
Girls eating a high-fat diet during puberty, may be at a greater risk of developing breast cancer later in life.
“The pubertal time period is crucial, as this is when the basic framework is created for mammary gland development. A high-fat diet during puberty can lead to the production of inflammatory products in the mammary glands of adults, which can promote cancer growth.
We thought we have neglected our male readers, so here is something interesting for our men.
According to an article published in the American Journal of Neuroscience a study was made whether Moringa Oleifera leaves extract attenuates male sexual dysfunction. The conclusion was that Moringa Oleifera can be the potential sexual enhancer particularly for acute and short term application. However, further researches are necessary.
Prabsattroo, T., J. Wattanathorn, S. Iamsa-ard, S. Muchimapura and W. Thukhammee, 2012. Moringa oleifera leaves extract attenuates male sexual dysfunction. Am. J. Neurosci., 3: 17-24.
A study in the “The New England Journal of Medicine” gave synthetic Vitamin A to 22,748 pregnant women. The study had to be cancelled after 4 years because of a 240% increase in birth defects in babies of women given 10,000 IU & a 400% increase in birth defects in babies of women taking 20,000IU. The study also concluded that eating natural sources of vitamin A does not cause these increased birth defect rates because natural sources do not come in large doses like synthetic vitamin sources.
A study in Reuters Health reported men taking 500 milligrams of synthetic vitamin C each day had a 250% increase in the inner lining of the carotid artery. This thickening of the blood vessel is an accurate measurement for the progression of atherosclerosis, which causes strokes and heart attacks. Natural vitamin C, however, does not increase the risk for atherosclerosis, according to this study.
LIVESTRONG.COM (2011) Studies on Synthetic Vitamins Versus Natural Vitamins. [online] Available at: http://www.livestrong.com/article/535137-studies-on-synthetic-vitamins-versus-natural-vitamins/ [Accessed: 18 Feb 2013].
Nejm.org (n.d.) Teratogenicity of High Vitamin A Intake. [online] Available at: http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM199511233332101 [Accessed: 18 Feb 2013].
In case you were wondering what is the name of Moringa in different countries, you can find the complete list here at Trees for Life International. There are more than 400 of them! Can you remember all of them? No prize.
- Drumstick tree, (Horse)radish tree, Mother’s best friend, West Indian ben
- Ben, Árbol del ben, Morango, Moringa
- Bèn ailé, Benzolive, Moringa
- Bangladesh: Sajina
- Burma: Dandalonbin
- Cambodia: Ben ailé
- China: La Mu, 辣木， 奇迹之树
- India: Sahjan, Murunga, Moonga
- Indonesia: Kalor
- Pakistan: Suhanjna
- Philippines: Mulangai
- Singapore: Moringa
- Sri Lanka: Murunga
- Taiwan: La Mu, 辣木，奇迹之树
- Thailand: Marum
- Vietnam: Chùm Ngây
South and Central America, Caribbean
- Brazil: Cedro
- Colombia: Angela
- Costa Rica: Marango
- Cuba: Palo Jeringa
- Dominican Republic: Palo de aceiti
- El Salvador: Teberinto
- French Guiana: Saijhan
- Guadeloupe: Moloko
- Guatemala: Perlas
- Haiti: Benzolive
- Honduras: Maranga calalu
- Mexico: Jacinto, Malunggay, Perla,
- Nicaragua: Marango
- Panama: Jacinto
- Puerto Rico: Resada
- Suriname: Kelor
- Trinidad: Saijan
- Fiji: Sajina
- Guam: Katdes
- Palau: Malungkai
In an article published by Dumex. Overweight women face breast-feeding problem. The studies say that these women don’t produce enough prolactin, a key hormone. It is a common misconception that overweight people are over nourished. Due to large-scale production causing field soils to be seriously depleted of mineral content, we are over eating but still under nourished. Nutritional requirement increases with pregnancy. During the 2nd and 3rd trimesters, the requirements for iron and calcium increases. As diet alone is not enough, an antenatal supplement can help. If you begin your pregnancy with poor nutrition, it is harder for your body to catch up. Your baby is most likely to suffer if your overall nutritional intake is lacking during key developmental stages. Many NGO and VWO have used Moringa, a non toxic and natural food (plant) that is highly nutritious to help lactating mothers. A clinical research study recently shows Moringa as an effective Galactagogue resulting to earlier onset of lactation.